Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mira strikes back

This weekend I was confidently knitting along on my first mitered square for my sock yarn blanket. Well, it was going along well. I felt like it was turning out pretty. I started a bookmark for my sister in law. All was going well both small projects were almost done.

Then I noticed the square wasn’t really square. More bell shaped. I poo-pooed the whole thing off because it was my first one and I was SURE I could block it and it would be perfect. So, I kept knitting, bound off, washed and blocked it. It still looked more bell shaped. I blew it off as my first one. I kept knitting the bookmark.

Now, here’s the catch. I knitted the bookmark on size 2 needles and the square on size 3’s. Or so I thought.

I went to start a Christmas patterned dishcloth for my Gran and I searched desperately for my size 3’s. I was sure I had put them back in their home. I was sure. Except I only had 1 size 3 and a size 2.

*Click* The light came on. I went to the bookmark (which also looked odd, but again I thought blocking would help) and picked up the needles. Look Ma! One of the needles was a size 3 and the other was a size 2! I had knit both projects with different size needles.

And then, I heard the faint laughter of Mira in my head.

So, I ripped back the bookmark. There was no hope for the bell shaped square, but that would be okay. It was still my first one.

2 comments:

TURBOchic said...

Somewhere online I read that you can change your row count, but not the stitches per inch be using two different needle sizes. I've never done it, but it looks like you perfected it.

Amy said...

Beginner's mistake I assure you. LOL!

Post a Comment