Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunny Happy Baby

HPIM3572_medium2 It seems like life flows in predictable stages. When we first moved to NC, the mister and I attended wedding after wedding. We probably went to 50 weddings and we still have 2 to go to this within the month. But there has been a shift, now we get calls almost daily it seems like from a friend or family member who is pregnant. There is a rash of pregnancy going around. (I keep avoiding drinking the same water these girls are drinking.) New babies mean knitting small tiny things. I am pretty excited about this adventure. Admittedly, I won’t be knitting for all the people that are having children like bunnies. I am selective about who I knit for in general.*

All that aside, I will knit for my cousin Natasha who recently found out she is pregnant. She is so newly pregnant, she doesn’t know the gender of her little one yet. So, I am content to knit brightly colored baby things for her. (I don’t like to knit in “baby” colors or in “baby” yarn. Or acrylic in general.)

Having never, knit for a baby before I thought I would start with something completely simple. I turned to the girls of Mason Dixon knitting and made their version of the baby bib. It was a simple garter stitch pattern. It could be spiced up in any number of ways. So, I cast on merrily in a beautiful, happy cotton yarn in yellows and oranges. I loved the way the yarn was pooling. I loved the neat, tidy rows.

As I was knitting those tidy rows, I started to contemplate what I should adorn the bib with. (A wise knitter friend [who is also a mother of a toddler I might add] advised me to not adorn it too much, snaps are better, and to make it big.) So, I decided to do a quartet of small bright yellow vintage buttons on the bottom corner. I made the bib larger than the pattern called for and alas I didn’t add snaps. Buttonholes are much easier to knit and at the moment I pretty much suck at sewing. The overall effect was a precious, happy, cheery bib for her wee one on the way.

 

HPIM3567_medium2       HPIM3582_medium2

 

*(I won’t knit for other knitters. I won’t knit for people who won’t appreciate the sentiment and time I have put into a project. I won’t knit for people I don’t know who aren’t paying me out the bum. I won’t knit for people who are so picky that they drive me up the wall or people with bad taste.)

1 comments:

Post a Comment