Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sand/Sea

Close Up I am an ambitious knitter. I started knitting in January and immediately decided I wanted to knit all of my family something for Christmas. It didn’t have to be much, but something. I decided on dishcloths for those that would use them, a scarf for my mom and the Mister’s grandma, something for my cousins’ babies, socks for my sister in law, and it wouldn’t be that hard… right?!?!

Well, to be honest, it hasn’t been too bad. I’m almost done knitting up the dishcloths in various designs. I’ve knitted up the perfect baby bib. I’m finishing my sister in law’s second sock as I write this (well, not right now since typing and knitting are not complementary tasks). I have very few Christmas projects left on my plate. It’s going well.

Where I got nervous was with the scarf for my Grandma in Law. The Mister chose a lovely yarn (Manos del Uruguay in Adobe) in soft blues, navy, black, suede brown, and rich cream. I chose a nice pattern to complement the colors. I decided to knit a “My So Called Scarf” for her. It would be my first of that pattern. I liked the look of the stitches. I liked the way the colors came through on the stitch pattern. I loved the denseness of the fabric. However, I didn’t love the repetition of the pattern. I also didn’t like the needles I was knitting on (apparently, since when I switched needles I zoomed along). So, I started the blasted thing in January and it was almost October and that darn thing was still only a foot long. So I decided to buckle down and just knit up the thing.

When I finally got the scarf to the right length (about 5 feet, since she wanted a shorter scarf), I decided to add fringe to the ends to help keep the rolling at a minimum. This was the first time I’ve added fringe to a scarf. It’s really easy. I washed and blocked it. And it was lovely. A pain in the butt to knit, but lovely at any rate!

My so called plant?      Eek! early September!!       The Mister

 

*The second picture with the project on the needles was in early September! The third is modeled by the Mister.

0 comments:

Post a Comment