Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Knitting Bad A**

I have project stories I could share. I need to tell you about the socks I knit my sister in law or the mittens I knit my baby cousin. However, I really want to tell you about something else. I want to tell you about how knitting makes me feel.

When I started knitting I wasn’t sure I could do it or that I would like. However, it became clear that I loved knitting. It wasn’t just that I loved it or that I was good at it (I really feel like I am doing pretty good!). It made me feel like a competent human being. Sure, I can whip up 3 meals before 9 am. Yes, I am good at being a wife. But I feel I would be a terrible mother. I am not good with kids at all. I can cook and bake like a champ, but I am terrible at laundry and cleaning. (Not to mention I hate doing it.) I know I have talents and things I can do. I wish I were a better writer. I wish I was smarter. I wish I could sing. When I think of all the things I am terrible at, I get a bit down.

HOWEVER, when I knit I feel pretty much like a goddess. I am good at knitting. I like doing it. I find it fun and challenging. I adore the process, the monotony. When I knit I feel like a person who can achieve anything. I can take on the world. I am like Sarah (from Chuck). I can do anything I want! It’s in this moment when I feel like I can be or do anything I want.

It’s nice to find something that make you feel that way.

1 comments:

TURBOchic said...

A) nobody likes cleaning. b)You are a goddess because c) you were/are a natural knitter. It's like you were born to knit.

Post a Comment