Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Knitting in Historical Terms

HPIM2338_medium2 My husband, who I love dearly, doesn’t wear scarves. So, when I started knitting he declared he wanted socks, mittens (shark mittens), a hat, and a sweater. Nothing easy peasy for him. So, him being a history major I started looking for him a pattern for a hat that he would like. I must have presented him with 40 patterns before I hit upon this historical pattern. Immediately he said yes.

The beanie in question is the WWII Watch Cap. He loved it. It didn’t look too incredibly difficult even if it was my first hat. I did a gauge swatch. Was nowhere close to gauge. I had to go up THREE needle sizes to get gauge. I cast on.

I finished the project in a week with probably only 3 hours of knitting time. He immediately put it on. I took it off him and washed it up. It got softer and floppier (Knit picks wool I have noticed gets noticeably softer when washed.). However, he puts it on all the time. He loves it. He also picked the color.

0 comments:

Post a Comment